I managed to finish up my doll quilt for the Doll Quilt Swap 12 on Flickr. I am so thrilled with the results. It was rather difficult to send it off after all that work!
I have always maintained that I hate foundation paper piecing, but I thought that I would try it again with some special paper. I found that the paper made a good difference, and I think that my machine being serviced and the tension being so much better helped out a great deal as well.
I designed this quilt on EQ6 and printed out 5 papers. Then I grabbed my test fabrics and tried it out. It worked quite well and came together just as I had hoped. I dove in with my chosen fabrics for the swap and made up the blocks over 2 weeks or so. I think it took me about 1.5 hours for each block.
Then I still had to take all the paper off - ugh! I still hate that part of paper piecing, although my pointy tweezers helped me out in some tricky spots. After basting the layers together, I decided to hand quilt it with some matching red embroidery floss. I think that the design pops! I also added in some green quilting, kinda in the ditch to secure the outer part of the quilt.
I hope my partner loves it. I expect that she will get it sometime this week. She doesn't know this is coming from me, so hopefully it will be a lovely surprise.
I am still waiting to receive a little quilt, but I have no idea which one will be mine. There are some absolute stunners in the photo pool!