Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Doll Quilt Swap

I managed to finish up my doll quilt for the Doll Quilt Swap 12 on Flickr.  I am so thrilled with the results.  It was rather difficult to send it off after all that work!

I have always maintained that I hate foundation paper piecing, but I thought that I would try it again with some special paper.  I found that the paper made a good difference, and I think that my machine being serviced and the tension being so much better helped out a great deal as well.

I designed this quilt on EQ6 and printed out 5 papers.  Then I grabbed my test fabrics and tried it out.  It worked quite well and came together just as I had hoped.  I dove in with my chosen fabrics for the swap and made up the blocks over 2 weeks or so.  I think it took me about 1.5 hours for each block.

Then I still had to take all the paper off - ugh!  I still hate that part of paper piecing, although my pointy tweezers helped me out in some tricky spots.  After basting the layers together, I decided to hand quilt it with some matching red embroidery floss.  I think that the design pops!  I also added in some green quilting, kinda in the ditch to secure the outer part of the quilt.

I hope my partner loves it.  I expect that she will get it sometime this week.  She doesn't know this is coming from me, so hopefully it will be a lovely surprise.

I am still waiting to receive a little quilt, but I have no idea which one will be mine.  There are some absolute stunners in the photo pool!

xo Nicole


Deborah said...

Your doll quilt is awesome. Love the hand stitching!

Carla said...

It's lovely Nicole. When I foundation piece, I give the paper a shot of steam from my iron, and the paper comes off like butter : )

Dawn Hughes said...

Beautiful Nicole- the colours are amazing and all I can say is WOW!

pve design said...

That is a beauty!

Keitha said...

Okay Nicole - you SLAY ME! This is absolutely gorgeous! I COVET this! (Love Carla's little piece of advice - I'm taking notes!)

ghulam sarwar said...

thank you for sharing

sameer said...

nice work keep it up